Lemongrass Tofu Steaks with Coconut-Lime-Basil Rice
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- 1 (7-ounce) package Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Garnishes: sliced red chilies, fresh basil leaves, microgreens (optional)
- Place the tofu on a paper towel-lined cutting board or plate. Top with more paper towels. Place a heavy saucepan filled with cans on top of the paper towels and let stand 10 minutes. (This removes any excess moisture from the tofu.)
- Cut the tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Place the tofu in a shallow dish. Pour the simmer sauce over the top and spread to coat all of the slices of tofu. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the tofu slices from the marinade to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, reserving the marinade.
- Whisk the coconut milk to combine the solids with the liquid. Remove ¼ cup coconut milk from the mixture and combine with the leftover marinade in a small saucepan. Set aside.
- Bake the tofu for 15 minutes or until the pieces begin to brown.
- While the tofu bakes, heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add the rice and cook 30 seconds until the grains are coated with oil. Pour in the coconut milk, 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, and stir in the lime zest, lime juice, and basil.
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable broth to the marinade-coconut milk mixture and simmer over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the rice onto a serving platter. Top with the tofu slices, drizzle with sauce, and garnish as desired.